Thursday, May 31, 2012

Courage

This weekend/week my cousins are in town from Atlanta. My cousin Dell told me about several cases of a bacteria in Georgia that had taken several limbs and other parts of three people! I was horrified and had to know what this flesh-eating bacteria was and how it was spreading. I immediately sent my friend Anna a text. Anna is an expert on all things bacteria and science related (at least I think so!). She responded within seconds letting me know what it was and that I was not in danger! Such a great friend! She also sent me a link to an NPR article with more in-depth information so I could read about it. After reading the article I learned a lot more than just about the bacteria. I got a glimpse of what it means to be courageous.


Aimee Copeland, 24, was zip-lining with friends over Little Tallapoosa River. The zip line broke and she fell cutting her leg open. She has developed necrotizing fasciitis. Her leg, other foot and both hands have been amputated. When she was told that the doctors needed to perform the amputations in order to save her life she only responded with "Let's do this." Her father stated in the article that she "shed no tears, she never batted an eyelash".

The article ends with:

Her father said he left the room with tears in his eyes.

"I wasn't crying because Aimee was going to lose her hands and foot, I was crying because, in all my 53 years of existence, I have never seen such a strong display of courage," Copeland said.

Unfortunately, I can not say that I would have reacted the same way Aimee did when she was faced with all of the amputations. Of course, you never know how you will react until you are put in a specific situation. I pray that I am never faced with this horrific tragedy but if I am, I pray that I react with such courage and hope as Aimee has. She is a great inspiration.

Her father has been keeping a blog since the accident. You can read it here. Also, you can donate financially if you wish on the site.

6 comments:

  1. I love you,Brittany.. I love your heart and how compassionate and loving you are... We are blessed to have you in this family... Love, dell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dell! You are too sweet! Love you too!

      Delete
  2. i saw that interview on the news! so so sad, but that girl is amazing. wow! thanks for following my bloggy! i gotcha back! did you enter the giveaway?!

    -bell
    http://farmerbell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The whole thing is still pretty horrifying. That poor girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, that is very real courage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following this story on the news. Can't believe it. She is an amazing girl!!

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you. Please be sure to include your email address on the comments form so I can respond to you!